Deciding to start or extend your family is an exciting, but sometimes confusing time. Your pharmacist is a qualified professional who can provide advice and support from preconception to beyond delivery.
Preconception and pregnancy care
Good nutrition and health are essential for a healthy pregnancy and birth. Your family pharmacist can help you on your path to parenthood by:
- optimising your general health
- providing fertility advice
- recommending the right pregnancy test and support for you
- reviewing your medications to make sure they don’t harm you or your baby
- recommending nutritional supplements as part of a balanced diet.
Australian Government, Department of Health and Ageing (2012). Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council. Clinical Practice Guidelines: Antenatal care – module 1 Canberra: Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council.